12/29/09

Smarty's Most Memorable Sports Moment '09

Under normal circumstances, I am not a fan of country club sports. In golf and tennis, there's no contact. There won't be any bodies crashing into each other pursuit of the ball or points. There's just the athlete and the sport. It's a mind game, really, like watching somebody play Chess on TV.
But this year has proven to be exciting for two country club sport athletes in particular. Of course Tiger Woods is fresh on our minds because it just happened. But I want to go back a few months for this moment.
On Day 13 of the 15-day long US Open for tennis, Serena Williams went ape shit on a line judge for calling a foot fault. Let's watch:








What makes it memorable isn't the fact that her foot did indeed touch the line. It isn't even the fact that she went off on the judge. It's what she said.




"I swear to God I’ll fucking take this ball and shove it down your fucking throat! Do you hear me? I swear to God. You better be glad–you better be fucking glad that I’m not, I swear."

*in my surprised newscaster voice* OMG, Serena! Where are you from? You mean to tell me they use such words in Compton?! Well, I never!
People, please, tennis, golf, track are very much mind games. When you play individual sports, you are not only competing against other athletes, you're competing against yourself. So in 2010, let's not get all crazy when an individual athlete loses her shit, she is after all, fighting herself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment