1/18/08

Sports Voice of Harlem

It's amazing how you think the industry is so big and little things remind you about how small it really is and how important it is to network. I had been in dire need to speak to an another woman in sports about the challenges I had recently been facing being a double minority (black and a woman) in an industry that is predominately ran by middle-aged white men. I heard about Ms. Stephanie Stepp, the struggles she had in the television world, how she looked towards radio as an alternative, and how that move has catapulted her career a lot faster than television ever could. After speaking with her I felt it only right to share some of the things she shared with me to the blog world.


What inspires you?
I love what I do. Just love it! There's nothing in this world, but God that could make me quit. Not my color, gender or someone else's tactics.

What separates your radio show from that on say ESPN radio?
What makes my show different from other shows is me. Anywhere I go I bring what I have to the table. There's only one me. I try not to be anyone else.

What was your most memorable interview?
To date, my most memorable interview was former running back and current Cleveland Brown Hall of Famer, Jim Brown

What one thing would you say is the reason for your success?

I don't walk around thinking I'm black, I'm a woman, it's going to be hard for me.

What are some challenges you’ve personally had to face being an African American Female working in the sports industry?
The greatest challenge overall is not giving up when things aren't happening fast enough. When I'm broke and can't pay my rent on time. When my talents and abilities aren't always enough because in some cases I don't know "the right people" as some would think. It's 2008, whoever doesn't like seeing my face in the locker room, at press conferences or TV is not my problem. I have bigger fish to fry.

What advice would you give to young females trying to get into this industry?
My advice is to find a way to keep going when your tank seems empty. Surround yourself with positive people who want to see you succeed and believe in yourself.

What's next for you???

A TV show, I want to do TV and radio simultaneously... and I want to write a couple books about childhood experience as well as about working in this industry. I have a passion to write about mother/daughter relationships and living in NYC being from Baltimore, and I'm quite sure at one point in time about the sports industry itself. I'm currently working on a book tribute to family members and friends with drug addictions. It's tentatively titled "AA."

Her radio show
"What's going on?" airs on 90.3 FM every Sunday from 3pm-4:30pm. If your not in the NYC area you can listen online.

AND EVEN THOUGH I AM STILL BITTER ABOUT THE GIANTS BEATING MY COWBOYS, YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY CHECK OUT "WHAT'S GOING ON?" THIS WEEKEND AS SHE WILL BE BROADCASTING LIVE FROM FOXBOROUGH.

She also has a myspace page - www.myspace.com/whcr


0 comments:

Post a Comment